That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
(Rom 10:9-10 KJV)
This is the most taught and yet most misunderstood subject in the Church of the living God. What is salvation then? First, I will begin by looking at what is commonly mistaken to be salvation yet it is not.
· Salvation is neither being religious nor giving to religious course. In Acts 10:1-6, Cornelius was devoted and a cheerful giver, but was not saved. God directed him to send for peter to direct him on the path to salvation.
· Salvation is not just believing. Even demons have faith according to James 2:19 and that is why when we cast them out in the name of Jesus, they obey and leave because they know and believe what the scriptures say. Are the demons saved? Certainly not.
· Water baptism or church ordinances cannot save. In Acts 8:8-23, we see Simon going through water baptism and attending fellowship faithfully. We learn in verse 20-23 that he cannot receive the Holy Spirit because his heart is not right with God.
· Becoming a clergy or doing ministry is not salvation. In John 3:1-11, Nicodemus was a senior clergy, yet Jesus told him "you must be born again". Jesus declares the end results of those doing ministry in his name without having personal relationship with him in Mathew 7: 21-23.
· Some people are naturally good yet that does not save them. Being just a good person and having good desires/passion/wishes in itself is not enough to save one. A young man came to Jesus in Mark 10:17-22, he professed to have kept the ten commandments since youth. Read Christ's commend in verse 23.
· There is nothing you can do to buy or earn your salvation because:- "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness’s are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
(Isa 64:6 KJV)For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. (Eph 2:8-9 KJV)"
· The disciples wondered among themselves in Mark 10:26 " then can be saved?" You are probably asking yourself: what is salvation then? Who can be saved?, how can one be save? Etc, etc. Stick with me, I am going to discuss that.
1. ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR SINS:
As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
(Rom 3:10 KJV)
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; (Rom 3:23 KJV)
Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (Rom 5:12 KJV)
When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. (Mar 2:17 KJV)
Salvation is a legal process. In the court room of heaven where God is the righteous Judge, man is found guilty of sin for two reasons: (1) By nature. All were born with stain of sin and (2) by practice. Because the seed of sin is in us, sinning becomes inevitable. You may not kill, but you may lie, you may not lie, but you may covet, etc. The man in Mark 10(above) claimed to have kept the whole commandments. Jesus put him on test right there. The first part of the commandments deals with our relationship with God. The second part deals with our relationship with one another. Jesus had quoted to him the second part and the man claimed he had no problem with that. Did he pass the test of "loving thy neighbor as thy self?"
In one way or another, we have sinned and fallen short of God's glory. We must acknowledge that. If we remain full of ourselves like the young ruler, it is hard to get salvation. The man turned away very sorrowful, his desire for salvation not fulfilled. Consider: "There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness." (Pro 30:12 KJV)If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
(1Jn 1:8 KJV)
One must therefore humble himself, own the responsibility of his actions and admit that I am a sinner.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1Jn 1:9-10 KJV) Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up. (Jas 4:8-10 KJV)
The word repent means change, but how do we change? This is a process that involves remorsefulness. One must see the magnitude of sin's impact and feel sorry about it. (b) Confession: Feeling sorry and doing nothing will lead to resentment and stress. You must confess your sins to God in the name of Jesus Christ. (c)Ask Christ to forgive you and wash away the stains of your sins by his blood. (d) Accept his forgiveness by faith. you may see nothing, or feel nothing, but He promised to forgive all who believe and confess. Forgiveness won't be any good for you if you will not receive it.
3. RECEIVE CHRIST.
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Rev 3:20 KJV)
Do not try to save yourself. Invite Jesus into your heart. He is standing at the door of your heart right now. He says "come to me all ye that labor and are heavy ladened and I will give ye rest." My friend, the burden of sin is heavier than the yoke of discipleship. Put yourself under his lordship. let Him direct your path. Make a decision to let Him control you and not you controlling yourself.
YOUR SALVATION IS NOW.
Friend, if you have never asked Christ to come into your life, this is the time to do so, or if you need to renew your commitment to Him, this is the time. Do not postpone until tomorrow. We don't know how long it will be before He comes, neither do we know how long your life will be. You definitely don't want to meet him as a sinner. Make your life straight with Him now. This is the most right time.
(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
(2Co 6:2 KJV)Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.
(Pro 27:1 KJV)
But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
(Rom 10:6-10 KJV)
Yes Jesus is at the door of your heart right now knocking. Will you let Him in? He wants to give you rest. He says "come unto me all ye that are heavy ladened and I will give you rest. Trust Him. He came to destroy the works of the devil and set free all that were oppressed by the devil. Don't remain vulnerable to the devil. Call on Jesus for your eternal security.
If you believe with your heart, repeat the prayer below by faith. Verbalize it. Sound the words don't just think or meditate.
· Dear Lord Jesus, I come to you just as I am, trapped in sin and self, I acknowledge my sins. I acknowledge my helplessness to save myself. I humble before you Jesus, needing you for a savior. Come into my heart. Forgive my sins of commission and omission. Cleanse me. Make me a new creature. Deliver me from the bondage of sin and self. Deliver me from the snares of satan. Jesus! Safe me from eternal punishment. Set me free Lord Jesus. Yes! Free to love you, free to worship you, free to follow you, free to serve you. Remove my name from the book of death and write me in the book of life. Translate me from the kingdom of darkness to the kingdom of light. Fill me with your Holy Spirit. Thank you for saving me. I totally surrender my life to you. I will hear your voice and obey. I will follow you the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, AMEN.
Friend, if you prayed the prayer above, God heard you and saved you. Now you need to identify yourself with a bible based Church to nurture you. We would also love to hear from you so that we celebrate with you pray with you and share with you more information for your growth.
God bless you.